75100385

I was asked to be a guarantor for someone who was renting a

I was asked to be a guarantor for someone who was renting a property. Since I was away at the time, I could not view or sign the guarantee agreement which I informed the agency but the tenant was allowed to move in. I did agree to let them do a reference check on me prior to going away and they also have a copy of my passport. But I did not read or sign any terms and conditions agreeing to a guarantor agreement.
This property was rented to two tenants and one of them caused damage to the property. He and his guarantor have agreed to pay for the damages incurred but now the letting agency has sent an email saying they are initiating legal proceedings and instructing debt collectors, in spite of me informing them that I do not have a signed agreement with them. Is this legal? Am I liable for something I have not agreed to?
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear you have never signed the guarantee?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I haven't. I allowed them to run a reference check on me and sent a copy of my passport. But I haven't signed a guarantor agreement.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Then no, you are not liable.

You can never be liable unless you signed an agreement.

Alex.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. Will the debt collection agency check this before they contact me? I really do not want my credit scores affected because of this.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Yes it won't affect your credit file. Alex