29905560

I'm proposing to make a purchase from an internet company,

I'm proposing to make a purchase from an internet company, which has given me its company name, postal address and bank account details for electronic funds transfer.
To protect myself from possible fraud, I asked the bank, by telephone, to confirm to me the following:
1) The given bank account is owned by the named company,
2) The company's name and postal address match those held by the bank, and
3) The length of time the bank account has been in operation if less than 12 months.
The bank's response was that answering these queries would violate Data Protection Laws.
I can't believe the bank's response is correct. It prevents me from performing due diligence on a matter that's been exploited by internet fraudsters in the past, and most probably now and in the future. Apart from my query (3) I already have the data. If the data I have is incorrect then the bank's response can be 'We can not confirm the data as being correct.', and if correct then 'We confirm the data are correct, and the length of time the account has been operating is ..................'.
Please advise me if in this instance the bank's claim to be unable to answer my queries due to data Protection Law consideration is valid or not valid.
Gary
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am afraid the bank is entirely correct in the response they have given you. You may already have some information about the company but the bank cannot tell you if what you have is the same as what they have, neither can the release information that you do not hold about them. I understand your reasons for wanting to ask this information but there are very strict data protection rules about what the bank can do with personal information held about its clients. Therefore you due diligence must be carried out via other means, such as researching the company’s credibility in other ways.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you