F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have an agreement with my ex-husband to pay a monthly

I have an agreement with my ex-husband to pay a monthly amount of GBP300.77 towards our daughter as of 01.04.2014. In the agreement it states: "This amount is a fixed amount, regardless of the income of the fatherand each is adapted to the British Retail Price Index." This agreement is an updated version of the previous one, where the amount was adjusted every year. Now, I have not had any increases in this amount since 2014. Can you please tell me whether this should have been adjusted and how? I like abroad with my daughter and do not really know how to go about finding this out. Thank you in advance.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

In January 2014 the retail price index was 252.6

in January 2016 the retail price index was 258.8

applying those indices to your payment, your payment should have increased to 308.15

The difficulty is that it is going to cost you more to enforce this increase than the actual amount of the increase.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much. I think - I hope -getting the money won't be an issue, I just need to know exactly what amount I'm going to ask for. Could you also please let me know what it should have been in 2015. Thank you!

Here are the indices for you to calculate any month to month combination.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/finance/retailpricesindexandconsumerpriceindex.htm

Divide 300.77 by the month and year figure you are starting from and multiply by the month and year figure that you want to know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you but unfortunately I do not quite follow. All I need is the figure as of 1.01.2015 and 1.01.2016 (it is to be adjusted annually). I would be very grateful if you could provide me with those. Thank you very much in advance.

In April 2014, the Retail Price Index was 255.7

In January 2015, it had dropped to 255.4

In January 2016, it had gone up again to 258.8

So the figure in January 2015 would be less than £300.77 by a tiny amount of pence

In January 2016, I have already given you the figure £308 .15

Please make sure to use the rating service so that I get credit for my time. Thank you.