Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was informed by the hotel I booked directly with has

Customer Question

I was informed by the hotel I booked directly with has informed me that there is a booking for 6 rooms by an online holiday booking company.
I did not get any confirmation of this as they booked the holiday by email with the wrong name.
I have tried to get information from them and only received a booking confirmation after they requested my correct email.
This cancellation my cost 7000 euros.
The booking agency is ORBITZ and they are being evasive, not returning calls when asked to and the holiday is from 12/08/2016 to 19/08/2016.
The hotel only told me on the 09/08/2016.
What are my rights. We intend to go on the holiday I booked directly.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. To confirm you booked a holiday online, thought you cancelled it, booked with the same hotel directly and have since been told you must pay for both bookings? Did you pay by credit card for the online booking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi AJ, thank you for your response. No the payment should be made at the hotel following the completion of our holiday. The hotel has my credit card details from my direct booking with them. They will be paid when the holiday is completed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not cancel it as I got no confirmation of the booking as they used a wrong email address as shown when they contacted the hotel for the booking.
This was only sent 09/08/2016 after they were given my correct email address.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A further point is that when I tried to log into ORBITZ system with my email address and the one they used with the hotel. The reply I got for both requests was it "We don''t have an account associated with this email address"
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Thank you. If they charge you for the online booking, you could either just ask your credit to refund the money under S,75 of the Consumer Credit Act. If what you are saying is you object to them charging you for the online booking before the charge even happens - if that is the case, you should tell the credit card company to stop the payment - you will then have to deal with the dispute with the hotel. It will then be the hotels prerogative to decide if they want to sue you for the money - if they did you could just defend the proceeding on the basis that not contract was concluded online?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, on the confirmation of the booking I received yesterday it stated that final payment will be paid at the hotel in local currency. I will speak to my credit card services later.I do not understand where I stand with the fact that the email address with the booking is***@******.*** and not my email address***@******.***.
Nor am I able to get on any ccount with both email addresses.
I did book with Booking.com but they have confirmed my cancellation. If I wasn't given any confirmation from ORBITZ how can I cancel it.
They are both with the EXPEDIA web site!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not understand where I stand with the fact that the email address with the booking is***@******.*** and not my email address***@******.***.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. When you made the online booking did you tick any terms and conditions? Did they get the email address wrong? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not remember booking on the Orbitz web site, unless it came up when I clicked on Expedia.
I am very careful in regards ***** ***** address when I have to give it.
As I have noted neither email has an account with Orbitz.
The conditions are in regards ***** ***** shows are subject to 50% of the reservation.
Multiple rooms booked fees charged by the hotel apply to each room that is cancelled and or changed.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. If you did not actually make the reservation, I would proceed with blocking the online reservation payment, and leave the burden of proof on the hotel to prove you actually made the booking. Ultimately if they really believe you are responsible they will have to sue you. I perhaps wait until after the holiday to address the issue in case it impacts on your holiday? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not remember making this booking. I booked with Booking.comm and cancelled both bookings with them and I have a email confirming this.
The first time I was aware of the booking with ORBITZ was when the hotel informed me I had 6 rooms booked by ORDITZ who have no account online for me but I was sent 2 booking notices on the same day. They requested my email address several times to send these and I did comment on the fact they should have my correct address. I did not get a response to this just asked to repeat my email address.
Thank you for you help. I may get back to you after the holiday.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. If you do not recall making the booking and they sent the confirmation to a different address again I would leave the burden on them to prove this. If they cannot then that should bring the matter to a close. I am happy to assist further. In the mean time I would be most grateful if you would rate my response? I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ