How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9339
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

How do I stop some using my address?

Resolved Question:

How do I stop some using my address?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

Could you explain your situation in a little more detail please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My nephew ( who is 20) use to live with me and moved out with his girlfriend. Since, he kept using my home address in everything (although I formally restricted him not to use it) such as:
- applying for job, insuring his car and registering it with DVLA, applying for loan...
1. He had been report for domestic violence by his girlfriend. His record to the police is on my address.
2. A debt Collection agency is claiming money from him on my address
3. He has apply for a fresh loan on my address.
I would like to take action to stop him using my address. I spoke to him but he looks being deaf. I use to send his mails back to senders but since his girlfriend kicked him out he is back, leaving with me for an emergency accommodation until he sort out his problems with the police and find a new place to go. Is this an address crime? Is there any legal action can I take against him? Is there any way to block his letters to be sent to my address or to instruct the post office to automatically return them to senders?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had been in touch with the citizen bureau advice but they couldn't help. They advised me to report it the police crime but when I checked their website, this case doesn't look to be on their interest.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent you more details but I d have your answer yet
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

I apologise for the delay. I have been out of the office.

Just one more question, are you asking him to stop using your address while he is still living with you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He was allowed to use it before he left home, more than a year ago. I asked him to stop using my address as soon as he left home but he never stopped. Now, as I said previously, I am just giving him an emergency accommodation for short time and I don't allow him keep using my address.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

Can I clarify anything for you?

He is a lodger and you can tell him that if he doesn’t stop using your address, you want him to leave. You only need to give him reasonable notice and if he isn’t paying rent, that would be one week after which you can lock him out. you must give him is things backyou do not need a court order to boot him out.

Alternatively, you can always take him to court to making use another address on the basis that he is causing nuisance but you shouldn’t have to do go to that trouble or potential expense.

If there is another address that he uses,don’t just return the letters to sender, return them with the alternative address.

At present,he isn’t committing any offence because he is living with you. He may commit an offence if he is not living with you and uses your address to attain money or goods by deception.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks
I think everthing is clear
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

I am pleased to help.

Please rate the service positive it’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helped me greatly. We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you