29905560

I had my drive cleaned yesterday by a contractor (Ltd

I had my drive cleaned yesterday by a contractor (Ltd company) They used a pressure washer. My Neighbour parked his car on the road next door but one. He called me this morning to tell me that the contractor had damaged his car. I sent him a text "sorry to hear that. the company is X and the contact numbers are Y & Z". Do I have any liability in this matter?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Did the contractor contacted you regarding this or is it only what the neighbour has advised?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The neighbour texted me - I have had no contact with the contractor - I just gave the neighbour the contractors details

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK

Many thanks for your patience. You will have no legal responsibility on the circumstances. You may have engaged them to do the work but you are not their employer, you are not responsible for their actions or oversee their work. They are contractors basically and will be personally responsible for their actions and any consequences they cause. There is also no legal relationship between you and your neighbour which they can claim you have breached to make you liable. Obviously if you had caused the damage that would be a different story but just because you had pod someone to do the work and in the process they damages someone else's property it does not make you liable. So you have done all you can here, which is putting them in touch with the company. It is then for the two parties to resolve this between them.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you