Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

We are about to launch a book joint collection of personally

Good Morning.
We are about to launch a book joint collection of personally composed poems with images taken from the Internet. It will be launched in Germany soon, aimed primarily at Twin Flame adherents and followers and available by Print on Demand. Two Questions: 1. Are the internet images regarded as in -the public domain - and therefore not subject to copyright unless specified so?
2. In the event of death by one or both authors - who is the legal inheritor? The authors will use pen names below the title of the book whose working title is A Treasury of Twin Flame Poetry.
Your advice is greatly appreciated. Osiris.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I will answer your questions in turn:

(1) Because a photo has been published on the internet that does not mean it is "in the public domain and therefore free to use". The copyright owner can still prevent people re publishing for their own commercial gain. You would have to individually verify each image is not subject to copyright ownership or obtain consent from the owner;

(2) In the event of the Co-Authors death - the estate of the Co-Author will inherit ownership of the works. Once both authors have passed away the copy right should last for another 70 year depending on which country you enforce it in.

Kind regards AJ