Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I paid a deposit at a caravan site until my wife viewed two

hello
i paid a deposit at a caravan site until my wife viewed two static caravans on the 03/08/16 on the 04/08/16 my wife said not suitable for us and asked for deposit back park says no i can only use to purchase from them or loose £1000 i have seen a private sale at the park and they know im interested and apparently they want to buy the caravan too so a little ill feeling growing my wife said they are just bullying us to buy from them thnks john
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. When you paid the deposit did they say it was non refundable? Do you want to keep the caravan on their site? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello ajsalesman didi not say non refundable i asked he said dont worry you wont be left withought a caravan yes i am looking to keep static on the site as has decking etc with it thanks john
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. By law if they did not say the deposit was non refundable they are liable to refund it - if they wont repay it the only to force them is to sue them - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome - you can commence a money claim here. The only issue with suing them is this will considerable sour relations if you want to keep your caravan on their site. Is there any way to negotiate a peaceful settlement, could you get them to broker the deal for the caravan you want in return for a smaller commission for example? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok will talk to wife as have agread price for caravan with owner already looks like its going to cost me another £1000 thoughthanks john
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. You could explain to him that you intend to keep the caravan on his site, and see if he will put the money towards the fees at least in part?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
AjHave already asked for this to be put aside for site fees they refused said only to purchase caravan from there stock thanks john
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. Realistically if you want the money back the only way will be to sue them. Have you asked if you could say pay them £500 to broker the deal for the other caravan? At least that way they get something, you dont lose £1000 and the relationship is not soured?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.