Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I purchased a property solely in my name in 2007. My partner

I purchased a property solely in my name in 2007. My partner moved in with me on that day. All the bills, and mortgage have been paid by me and are only in my name except the water bill that my partner pays which is in her name. There are no children involved we are not married.
There has been no formal regular payment by my partner to me but she would often buy food and household items etc as well as pay for some larger items such as a new boiler or garden fencing. The vast majority of expenditure has been mine.
She has now moved out of the property and independently bought a new house with her new partner. We did have the house on the market for sale but because of a slump in prices I no longer wish to sell and want to wait another year.
I have offered to pay her an amount that she has agreed to but I can only do that once we have sold. I have drawn up a letter confirming this but have not signed it yet.
My question is can she force me to sell my home? Can she place a restriction or charge on the property? (I don’t really understand the difference in these terms) Do I have to sell it within a certain time frame? Is there anything else I should be considering or doing to protect myself?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Is her name on the title of your property, if so is it as joint tenants or tenants in common (if so in what shares?)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi HarrisThanks for the prompt reply. No the property is just in my name.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Given that the property is in your sole name and you are not married, and in the absence of any formal agreement or intentions, your ex-partner has no legal interest in the property and she cannot force you to sell the property. If she believes that she has a beneficial interest in the property she can put a "caution" on the title but from the sounds of it she should have no interest given that there have been no significant contributions by her and there appears to be no deed of trust or formal agreement between you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good news. Could you just briefly explain the ramifications of a caution please?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

The caution will be disclosed to any potential buyer as it will be registered on the title and may delay or prevent a sale, and your ex-partner will receive notice of any sale of the property.

However, you are entitled to apply to cancel it at any time, and at that point your ex-partner would need to prove what entitlement she has to the property. If a disagreement remains, a Land Registry adjudicator will be allocated to resolve this.