12826847

My ex had created a fake profile account to expose our

Customer Question

Hi, my ex had created a fake profile account to expose our former relationship to my family on Facebook, he sent my brothers and sisters a very ok photo of us kissing, some voice recording and also sent a picture of a gun to my little brother. I feel so ashamed as he knew this would destroy my relationship with my family for cultural reasons. He has done this out of revenge as I had told his baby mother who is pregnant with his second child the truth about him lying to us both, he has reenrols come back to trying to pursue a relationship with me whilst telling me he isn't with his baby mother and told her I was stalking and begging to be with him. Which wasn't the case as he had been stalking me a couple of times, he has been playing with my emotions and my mind and has also been abusive in the past and I often end up giving in because I was also too afraid to call the police. I don't know what to do as I can not face my family and go home now, he used a distant relatives name to create the fake Facebook profile and te police are saying there is nothing they can do. I feel so hopeless and sucidal and extremely humiliated. Please are can you help me please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anything I can do to prove this fake profile was created by him? The police are unable to help, sending the picture of the gun is a death threat and I'm really worried about my families safety, is he allowed to do this and nothing be don't about it by the police? Is he allowed to use a picture of me in it on Facebook? would this come under cyber bullying? My friend told me there is a new law about troll accounts is this true? I don't know what to do and the police aren't being helpful right now, I have contacted Facebook, and they can only block the account but need the police intervention to track this account and I will need to apply for this legally. Also, I have a text a couple of months ago from him threaning me about telling my family and he used my brothers and sisters Facebook names, would this count as evidence this was him?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

There were always laws that covered that type of thing but they aren't engaged here.

I think the issue of the police is probably that it is very hard to prove that he was the creator and also it is hugely draining upon manpower and ultimately the creation of a fake Facebook account does not justify those resources.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

You have to bear in mind that there are limited resources available to the police and instances of actual violence and other serious crime are going to be given priority over what is, ultimately, some communication on Facebook.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Tracking IP addresses is very time consuming and quite often it really doesn't prove much as there are public IP addresses.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

The reality is that the evidence that exists doesn't identify the culprit. It might be him. It might be many others.

The police are being fairly reasonable when they are unwilling to devote the amount of resources it would take to track down an IP address for these events I'm afraid. The IPCC would not critcise them for that. There have been rumblings to the effect that they do not intend to police disputes on Facebook and other social media and, in fairness, it is not really what the taxpayer maintains the police for.

You could seek an injunction forcing Facebook to identify an IP address but I would suggest it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

There would be cost involved and also it is quite possible that it is either a proxy or a public IP zone so there is no point.

Further, even if you did at the very highest point it is a low level communications offence.

I'm very sorry but that is the reality.

Just get Facebook to block the account.