Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife keeps getting into debt - a LOT of debt. I don't

Hi. My wife keeps getting into debt - a LOT of debt. I don't want to divorce her, but I also don't want to be burdened with her debt if we split up. Is there a way to protect myself from this?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. If the debts are in her sole name then they will be her sole responsibility. However, if you were to pursue a divorce, then either of you would be entitled to seek financial relief from the other which takes into account all matrimonial assets, income and debts. Her debts will need to be scrutinised and assessed and depending on various factors, such as your ages, length of marriage and your needs, you would have argument that such debts are not matrimonial and you should not be burdened with sharing them.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.,