29905560

I am a salesman and cannot find specific laws that affect

I am a salesman and cannot find specific laws that affect selling. There are broad categories of such laws all over the internet but no list any specific laws. What actual laws/acts of parliament affect selling?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Is there anything in particular that you are hoping to refer any act to?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am writing a 1000 word report on laws governing the salesman as part of my sales training and I cannot find specific 'dos and don'ts'.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. Thanks.

No problem at all

Many thanks for your patience. The laws that may be relevant will depend on what you are actually selling and how you are selling it. For example it depends on whether you are selling to consumers or business, if you are selling in person, at the consumer’ premises, at an office, over distance (e.g. online or over the phone), etc.

If you are selling to consumers then the main piece of legislation would be the Consumer Rights Act. If you are selling to businesses then you will be caught by parts of the Sale of Goods Act. You will have certain obligations under Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. These Regulations apply to contracts for sales conducted on the trader’s business premises, off the trader’s premises (e.g. at the consumer’s home) and at a distance (e.g. online). They detail what information you must provide to customers before entering into a contract and deals with the consumer’s cancellation rights. There could also be local byelaws affecting the particular area you work in but these will be best determined by contacting the local authority to check.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am selling to other businesses (building contractors). Could you confirm what parts of the Consumer Contracts Regulations apply to me as such and does being in the construction industry mean that any other laws apply to how I sell?

The Consumer Rights Act will unlikely apply as that is for sales between business and consumers, not business to business. You will be working under the Sale of Goods Act, which still provide the customer an expectation that any items sold will be of satisfactory quality, as escribed and fit for purpose. You will also be working under any specific terms you and the other side agree on, so you must ensure that your contracts are drafted well and they cover you for anything you would like them to.

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much. That helps a lot.
Regards,
Harley Flett

You are most welcome