How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9340
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I am litigant in person in a civil case with a represented

Resolved Question:

I am litigant in person in a civil case with a represented defendant.Am I by law obliged to only communicate with his solicitor or can I serve docs on him and leave it to him to communicate with his solicitors?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

The protocol is that you should deal with his solicitor.

If he has instructed solicitors, and you continue to communicate him, he can allege to the police that you are then harassing him so you should deal with his solicitor to avoid that possibility.

If his solicitor will not reply, you are quite in order to tell the solicitor that if he doesn't reply, you will contact his client directly.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

No rating means I don’t get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you