F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am litigant in person in a civil case with a represented

I am litigant in person in a civil case with a represented defendant.Am I by law obliged to only communicate with his solicitor or can I serve docs on him and leave it to him to communicate with his solicitors?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

The protocol is that you should deal with his solicitor.

If he has instructed solicitors, and you continue to communicate him, he can allege to the police that you are then harassing him so you should deal with his solicitor to avoid that possibility.

If his solicitor will not reply, you are quite in order to tell the solicitor that if he doesn't reply, you will contact his client directly.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

No rating means I don’t get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

Best wishes.

FES.