31090051

I have organised for a solicitor to apply for a power of

Customer Question

I have organised for a solicitor to apply for a power of attorney (for both health, welfare and property, finance) for my father. My father is considered their client but I have been the liaison.
The powers of attorney have been registered but the solicitor refuses (as she has said that she has been instructed by my father) to send the original powers of attorney to the nominated attorneys. In fact we have been told that we will receive a certified copy and each time we need another we have to ask her.
I asked my father about this and he really doesn't understand everything and just tells me to get on with it and that I should be at each meeting he has with the solicitor. This is difficult as the solicitor didn't tell me that she was going to see my father at the care home so I didn't know she was going to get him to sign a letter confirming this instruction.
Is this normal ? Is it right that a solicitor can manipulate someone to signing an instruction which seems somewhat contrary to the actual request to grant power of attorney to his children ?
Thank you for reverting.
Carolyn
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

It would be very unusual for the original signed power of attorney to be sent to the attorneys. In any event banks and other institutions will only accept one that has been registered and properly certified (printed from the online system) so the solicitor is not doing anything unusual or wrong here other than perhaps not explaining things properly to you.