F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My neighbours garden is higher than mine by 8 inches, after

My neighbours garden is higher than mine by 8 inches, after discussion with his landlord we agreed he could erect 6 foot fence, he has erected 7 foot fence, and as the gardens are small it makes it feel very closed in and light issues, where do I stand legally please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

Legally, he cannot erect any fence over 2 m (6.6ft) without planning permission.

That 2 meter height would be taken from your garden not his.

You can refer this to the Local Planning department .

There is no right to light in a garden, only into buildings and even then, it would only be actionable if you had acquired the right to light or it was not excluded in your deeds and the light had been reduced by 50% into a room.

Legally, there is no right to review so if this obstruct your view, that is not actionable.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helped me greatly. Best wishes.

FES