75100385

My daughter and two other students signed a lease for a flat

Good evening,
My daughter and two other students signed a lease for a flat in London. My daughter could not submit the referencing because the real estate agency experienced technical problems with a software and sent her an email saying that she could ignore the referencing.
Three days before the date agreed for the release of the keys (the move and delivery of the furniture already organized) the agency communicated by email that the contract had been voided, because the referencing was missing.
After this unprofessional behavior, my daughter decided she could not trust this agency anymore and decided to find a flat to rent elsewhere.
My questions are:
1. Does my daughter need to communicate the real estate agency that she considers herself free from any obligations entailed in the contract or is it not necessary, considered that the contract has already been voided by the realtor?
2. Do you think it wise that the other two students try and find a new roommate to substitute my daughter or do you suggest that they request the immediate return of the deposit?
Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Has she paid anything please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather have an answer to my questions via email if possible. My spoken English is not good enough to have a phone conversation. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already payed CHF 59 to JustAnswer through my PayPal account. Could you please give me an answer as soon as possible? Thank you. Laura Trombini
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I meant has she paid anything to the Agency/Landlord!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I misunderstood! No, she did not pay anything. But the other two students payed a deposit. They found the flat and then looked for a third student (my daughter) to share it with.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

1 - No, they have said its void, so she does not need to do anything

2. If the contract is void they can demand the return. If the contract is void then its not binding

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question. My daughter is worried for her two friends. Do you think they still can trust an agency that acted so unprofessionally or would you advise them to demand the return of the deposit and look for another flat?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I would demand the return as well. If they are saying the contract is void then the friends can get out too

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! No more questions
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck.