Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I had a path and patio designed for my front garden. The

Customer Question

I had a path and patio designed for my front garden. The designer recommended a local landscaping firm. Construction was from March to June 2012. From 2015 I could see that levels were rising and falling, cracks appeared between the sandstone slabs, and the edging was breaking away. I contacted the director of the landscaping company. He did not visit but claimed the path and patio had broken up 'due to the heavy clay soil stretching and contracting'. He offered a day's labour to do repairs but did not say what this was intended to achieve. The footway outside is stable, so the base under the slabs must be insufficiently thick or not properly compacted. This was the view of contractors who gave quotes for remedial work. One lifted a slab and showed me the concrete base had cracked. The director told me his firm was closing down and he was retiring from the landscaping industry. However I later saw trucks labelled with the name of his company, which is still operating from the same premises. The website still has the original name and lists the same personnel as before. I sent a Letter Before Action on 12th saying I would take them to the Small Claims Court. No response. How should I proceed?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How much are you claiming from the contractor? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
163;3000
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had a lot to do yesterday including new mobile. Hopefully respond more quickly now.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. If they are refusing to pay for the damage the next step is to commence a claim. There is an online service for this

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Do you have the company name? I can check its registered office and confirm whether it is still trading? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Terra Firma Landscapes is the name on their trucks. On the invoices it was Terra Firma Landscapes at the top of the page and Knollys Limited at the bottom.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Alex
Thanks for your advice. However I read that I can't use the money claim online service as I am on a low income (state pension). Is there a paper way of doing it? Also, I think there's a way of getting financial assistance or fee waived.
Geraldine