13262538

Can I buy a house in my name in England and then rent it to

Can I buy a house in my name in England and then rent it to my brother? My brother has always lived at home with my late parents, is on ESA (the 'sick'), has not worked for 20+ years and I have applied for financial LPA for him (along with my other brother). I will be using money from our parents estate, for which I am executor, to buy a house, which we want in my name so that no-one can persuade him to remortgage it to fund some daft scheme. In other words, it is being done to protect my brother's interests. I would then hope to charge rent to help cover bills. The rent would be minimal, but I assume that he would be able to claim Housing Benefit. I need to know if this plan will work as we have had an offer accepted for a property and both the estate agent and solicitor need to know if it will be bought in my name.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

You can certainly purchase a property and rent it to your brother BUT he will not be eligible for Housing Benefit to pay the rent given the familial relationship.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has this just changed?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

As the cuts have bitten this is a rule which is now enforced more ruthlessly then previously

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would he pay bills given his only income at the moment is ESA (£140 every two weeks).
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

He may also be eligible for PIP -

https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.