How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69985
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

GMP have sent me a notice of intention to prosecute for a

Customer Question

GMP have sent me a notice of intention to prosecute for a traffic light offence of being time into red of 7.8secs. Initially they just want me to confirm I was the driver.
The incident occurred at a pedestrian controlled crossing on Princess Road,A5103, near Christie Hospital. The lights were on red when I approached so I stopped and proceeded when they changed to green.
The photos on the website show my vehicle stopped with the lights on red. There is white line across the road more than a car's length from the crossing so when I stopped at the lights my car was between the white line and the lights, and it appears that the camera is aligned with the white line so it recorded that I crossed the white line 7.8 secs before waiting short of the lights for them to change to green. What should I do ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

To achieve what?

What are you hoping to do about this?

On the face of it, you seem to accept crossing the white line?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There was no indication that I should stop at the white line. I have seen similar situations where the area immediately in front of traffic lights is reserved for cyclists but never seen this marking where the white line is 10 yards from the pedestrian crossing.
I could not find anything in the highway code. I did not pass a red traffic light.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

The law requires you to stop before the white line unless the white line is so badly broken that it cannot be seen in which case the law requires you to stop at the traffic light.

Plead guilty. You do not have a defence.

I'm very sorry but the law of road traffic is of strict liability and there is no defence in saying you did not know.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am afraid that if I plead guilty to what on the face of it sounds horrendous ie going through a red light 7.8secs after changing to red, the court will not be properly aware that in this case I did not actually pass a red light or endanger anyone.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I plead guilty will the court be aware that I did not actually drive through a red light 7,8 secs after it turned red which would obviously be very dangerous ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Is it charged as S36 RTA or driving without due care and attention?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The notice of intention to prosecute is initially requesting the name of the driver. The alleged offence is "Fail to comply with a traffic light signal (camera)"
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

That is S36 RTA.

If it is 7 seconds after then they could prosecute it as a driving without due care.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. Please confirm that your advice is to submit the form identifying me as the driver and when the notice of prosecution arrives, I should plead guilty and draw the court's attention to the circumstances in that I did not drive past the red light, stopping after the white line but before the red lights showing on the pedestrian controlled crossing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

There is no way around complying with the S172 request. If you do not they will charge you with failing to identify which carries 6 points and a much higher fine.

You can mitigate on that basis on the court forms.

They may offer you the fixed penalty though.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I'll return the form today and let you know how they respond.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice