75100385

I cancelled a PPI search with UK Money Solutions because I

I cancelled a PPI search with UK Money Solutions because I could not provide the information they kept requesting and did not think that pursuing the search would be of any benefit me. They are not saying that I owe them £300 (50 per hour) for the work undertaken by them.
Note that I was hounded and hounded by them to take out a search even though I kept saying that I did not think I had a claim, informing them that I had always been in secure employment. They informed me that it was a no win no fee procedure that they would do all the hard work and find the information. They now say that I signed a Contract stating that if I cancelled fees would apply, but I obviously did not read the small print and feel really aggrieved as I took them at their work 'no win no fee'.
Now when I tell them I cannot provide anymore information and to cancel the search they say I owe them £300.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What does the small print say about if you cancel.?

When did you sign it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have the paperwork, just signed and sent it back, about 3- 4 months ago, not sure. Would it be worth asking for copies?
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Yes. Did they ever give you a cooling off period?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They say they gave me a 14 day cooling off period but I can't remember, didn't think there would be any fee applied if cancelled, like I said so did not read small print. When assured over the phone no win no fee that is what I expected at cancellation.They also say in the letter I received that outside of 14 day cooling-off period cancellation fees apply at a rate of £50 per hour for all work done on my case up to point of cancellation.They also say that if I would prefer not to cancel then they will withdraw the invoice for cancellation fees so long as I provide the details my lenders are requesting in order to continue my claim. BUT my point is I can't provide this information. They also say that we can only continue claims if I settle all current outstanding invoices!
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

I would ask for a copy of the contract. In short if they didn't give you a cooling off period then you can cancel. They are breaking the law if the document does not say you have 14 days to cancel.

If they did then you can argue that the terms that you have to pay whether or not they did anything is unfair pursuant to the consumer rights act 2015

That way if they try to go after the costs a court can assess the terms and see whether they were reasonably brought to your attention.

If the answer is no then you are not bound.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was just going to ask whether it would be asking them for more reasonable payment terms if I am liable but I think you have answered this question. What would be reasonable terms 12 months at £25 per month would be reasonable to me?
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

I don't think you are liable but yes £25 a month is not unreasonable.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi AlexWhy do you think I am not liable?Could you advise me exactly what I should say/write to them?.Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Because the terms are unfair as per the consumer rights act.

They create a significant imbalance between you and them. They didn't take reasonable steps to bring to your attention you would be liable for costs in any event

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi AlexThank you very much, yes it does.Beryl