Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am trying to determine what rights I have under my EEA

Customer Question

I am trying to determine what rights I have under my EEA family permit while I await my Residence Card. Particularly if I can register a business in the UK.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I am american, married to an EEA national who is working in the UK. I just arrived on my family permit. I plan to start a business in the UK and have heard that it can take 6 months or more to get a residence card. I would like to begin my business but am not sure if I can without that card.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. You are not restricted from setting up a business in the UK just because you don't have your residence card. Essentially, once you have an EEA Family Permit, this gives you the right to live and work in the UK and to set up a business if you wish. A residence card merely evidences the fact that you can live and work in the UK. In this regard, the residence card does not confer any more rights than you already have with the EEA Family Permit. So, you can set up a business if you wish and form a limited company, get a bank loan, hire employees and do whatever is necessary to create your new business.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wonderful, thank you for clarifying this issue for me. I really appreciate your prompt and clear response!

3. You are welcome! Best wishes.