75100385

We recently booked our apartment out with Booking.com. The

Customer Question

Hi, we recently booked our apartment out with Booking.com. The tenant was known to booking.com as someone with a criminal past including ABH but they did not tell us. We had numerous damages caused to the flat including theft and had to interrupt holiday to get the tenant out which by luck was when the flat was empty so could change the locks. A separate landlord in the area who also had the same experience with this tenant via booking.com went to the police with my wife to make a statement. We have asked booking.com to recompense us around 2000 euros in damages but have had no answer. Please could you advise.
Thanks in advance
Rob Brown
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rob my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How do you know that booking.com was aware of this?

I don't think you have to declare con cities when you book?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, because when we called booking they had already received complaints from this person. They gave us the address of the landlord concerned and advised us to call the police.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord lives in the same arrondissment in Paris and went to the police station with my wife to make a statement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can give you my wife's number as she has more detail about the situation: +44 (0)7949 088809. Or my number is +44 (0)7797 858889
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, could we discuss via this site for now? If you need further details please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, I just accepted the live discussion. Would you mind calling my wife? Her number is +44 (0)7949 088809. Many thanks, Rob
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard you had a brief conversation with my wife and basically the summary is we have no basis to claim damages off booking.com even though they knowingly allowed a trouble-maker with previous criminal background against other booking landlords to stay in our flat. Is that right?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Correct. Its a matter of individual contracts between the Landlord and customer. There would also be Data Protection Act issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks for that terse answer.... left me wondering what "protection" a landlord has in these situations.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Its hard - all you have is the contract between you and booking.com

You need to check its terms to see what information they have to give to you. If it doesnt say they need to disclose these matters then they do not - you agreed to the contract.

I am sorry.