Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am a self employed IT Consultant running my own business.

Customer Question

I am a self employed IT Consultant running my own business. As part of an enquiry by the Civil Aviation Authority I was requested for a meeting on Monday 6th June. I cancelled the work I had planned for that date, however at the last minute the CAA representative cancelled the meeting, I therefore lost a days daily rate. I have sent the CAA an invoice for the lost day claiming my full daily rate. How do I proceed with this claim if they refuse to pay?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did you inform them that you would charge them at your daily rate before the meeting? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Alex, I had informed I was prepared to waive the fee for the interview. However as they had cancelled 3 times previously, I informed them they would be charged for this late notice cancellation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. If they refuse to pay and you want to claim the money you would have to commence a money claim online -

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome . How much is the fee being charged?

The only caveat to this is there are some gaps in the claim - consider they will raise as a defence that you waived the fee previously and did not notify them that you would charge it if they cancelled on this occasion.

As a starting point are they outside your payment terms yet? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Alex, they're way outside the payment terms of 14 days. I have been charging them 8.5% every two weeks for failure to pay. They are asking me for 'the legal basis' for my invoice claim. What might I tell them?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, who would I pursue in the claim, the Civil Aviation Authority, or just the individual involved?