29905560

Please can someone help me i have had a problem with the

Customer Question

Hi there, please can someone help me i have had a problem with the ignition on my van where i have had to get an auto electrician out to it.
The auto electrician has had 4 visits to the vehicle, in this time he has damaged several parts of the dashboard and all of the cover caps in the fuse box under the bonnet and basically made the problem a lot worse.
I have had a mercedes specialist out to the van and he has confirmed that it would have been an easy fix if the auto electrician hadn't of done what hed done.
I have lost wages through not having the vehicle and the van has now depreciated in price due to the damage. It goes into the thousands from what i can gather and im looking to take this to a small claims court and im unsure what to do now.
thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long ago did you buy it? Also, was it a private or trade sale?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ben,It was a trade sale in may 2012

Hi there and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. In the circumstances you would be looking at a potential negligence claim. You would be arguing that the electrician’s work fell below the standard expected of a reasonable electrician in his position and that as a result he caused you losses or damages. However, when the court looks at whether his actions were negligent they would consider what someone with the same level of knowledge and skills would have done in the same position. For example, if the work required someone specifically trained in the electrics of this particular make or model and he did mot have these, a court would consider whether someone with the same knowledge and skills would have done a much better job of it. If his work clearly fell below the reasonable standard of someone in that position then the could indeed be a negligence claim here. However, you may not be able to claim for lost wages because a court wild expect you to have minimised such losses, so for example you would have been expected to get a replacement van. Whilst you may have been able to claim for the costs associated with such hire, it would have reduced your losses overall and you would have just been claiming for the hire charges rather than the lost wages. Regardless of any of this you are still able to take this to the small claims court if you wanted to, just ensure the overall claim is kept below £10,000 for it to get to the small claims court.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ben, sorry about the delay, thank you for your answer i appreciate your time. Would an engineers report from another electrician/mechanic help me in any way as i am trying to prove that what he has done has made the problem worse and there is quite a lot of cosmetic damage considering he was supposed to know what he was doing.Many thanks

Yes it certainly can, if it goes to court you may need something like that anyway

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi BenThats great thank you so much for your time i appreciate it!
I have rated you but not sure how to finish up and pay for your services if you could kindly helpThanksSte

Hi, leaving the rating credits me with the deposit you paid so there is nothing else for you to do, many thanks once again

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thats great thank you for all your help!

You are welcome, all the best