75100385

We recently booked a holiday on-line. The holiday company

We recently booked a holiday on-line. The holiday company got hacked and unbeknown to us we were communicating with fraudsters and they took our money. Is the holiday company liable to pay for our holiday. Our insurance doesn't cover fraud. What are our rights?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, it was THEIR end that got hacked, not yours?
How did you pay for the holiday?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is the comms from the fraudsters.From: TransferWise Support <*****@******.***>
Sent: 01 August 2016 06:42
To:***@******.***
Subject: Transfer #9345706 is on its way
Hi Thomas,
All done! €3,500.01 should arrive by Aug 1
The rate was 1 GBP = 1.1832 EUR, and the fee charged was £14.79.
You can view the status of your transfer online.
Your receipt for this transfer is available here.
See how your savings stack up
Here's what you've likely saved on this £2,973.00 transfer*
Fees: £14.79
Exchange Rate: 1.1832
£14.79
Fees: £22.00
Exchange Rate: 1.1552
£91.83
Fees: £0.00
Exchange Rate: 1.1436
£99.50
Fees: £15.00
Exchange Rate: 1.145
£110.50
Fees: £15.00
Exchange Rate: 1.1421
£117.75
Fees: £0.00
Exchange Rate: 1.1304
£132.67
Know anyone still stuck with their bank? Time to tell them how much they're missing out on.
INVITE FRIENDS
* Learn more about how we calculate banks' hidden fees and savings
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they didn't allow paypal or credit card payment which we thought was strange so we checked the company credentials out on line and the company was legitimate. We didn't think they'd get hacked!
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

But to be clear, it was THEIR side, not your email that was hacked?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The holiday house is still available. They have offered to fund half the holiday and said we should pay for the other half whilst the fraud office in Portugal investigates and the insurance company investigates. They have offered us another less desirable property.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry bit of confusion...my wife made a mistakeThe fraud email was from***@******.*** - this is the real email address of the booking company but their email address was hacked and so the company wasn't reading their own emails - they were being forwarded to the fraudsters and then deleted from the account.Transfer wise is legitimate
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the original contact was made through homeaway.co.uk which sent an email to sol-domus - the sol domus email address had been hacked - then all email communication via sol-domus was actually with the fraudsters not sol domus (but using their legitimate email) the communication asked for payment via bank transfer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
considering this suspicious - I checked the company online and there was no negative press anywhere on the web they had real people on Linkedin - and so I felt comfortable to make the transfer (of course the company was legitimate) but as described earlier - their systems were hacked...advice appreciated.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
payment from our bank to transfer wise to fraud bank in spain - this has been sent to Natwest and Transferwise fraud departments
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Yes I asked: But to be clear, it was THEIR side, not your email that was hacked?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Correct
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Ok - then you dont have to pay anything else.

The holiday must cover you.

It was THEIR system that was hacked, it is not your fault. So yes the holiday company is liable for the cost of your holiday.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Given they are a portuguese company - how would you advise we approach the follow-up?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

You would have to sue (if its under £10) in the county Court here.

Otherwise over there sadly. As a UK Solicitor I cant advice on the process abroad.

Does that clarify?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK thanks.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Can I help with anything else at all today?