Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I payed my outstanding rent on my garage but the landlord

Customer Question

I payed my outstanding rent on my garage but the landlord would not let me get my possesions untill i payed another month upfront and then i could only have one visit ti get all my stuff out.so i have not payed and now he has sold all my gear.can he do this
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Snotter, a landlord has no right in law to sell the tenant's goods or possessions. It does not matter if there is rent outstanding, the landlord still has no right to sell the tenant's possessions or goods. Accordingly, you can sue him for the return of the possessions which he sold on you. I would advise you to get yourself a solicitor and to formally write to the landlord and seek the return of your possessions or compensation in place of them.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Ultimately, you may have to sue him for the goods or possessions or compensation instead of them. Accordingly, you should speak with the solicitor at the outset about suing the landlord because this is the recommended course of action if he does not compensate you for having taken your things.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.