75100385

I'm not sure which lawyer I should speak to. Here's the case

I'm not sure which lawyer I should speak to. Here's the case briefly:
I was approached for a job in USA and got through all the questionnaires, no interview, and was offered the job which sounded too good to be true. So they started the US visa application procedure, and I was asked for $2910 to become a member of the Engineering Council in US before I could get H1B visa. I sent this money electronically as I was so keen to get the job then started thinking about it. Checked with the Real company on line, Anadarko Petroleum, and they told me the job offer was fraudulent. I even checked with US Immigration if the fax they sent me was genuine using the email on the fax and was told it was genuine and should send $4800 in order to open a US bank account, of course I didn't send this.
I told ActionFraud in the UK and also the FBI but neither them or Police Scotland will help me, partly because I am stationed in Azerbaijan just now and can't make a personal statement face to face with the police (they dont' seem to use emails yet!)
I want to chase this as I am still in contact with the fraudsters using email, so the police could catch them if they could source their email.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I assume you sent the money by something like Western Union or Moneygram?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a bit fed up with this site's repeated offer of fantastic 30 minutes response. I don't need it!
Can we get on with the case in question?
I sent the money by digital banking, which goes thru in about 2 days. i told my bank to try to stop it but looks like it was too late
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

So it was not a direct bank transfer from your account to their account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yest it was direct to them. Digital banking, the Royal Bank of Scotland call it. Very simple to carry out on line once you have logged onto your account
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

When do you return back to the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know because I am married to a local here in Azerbaijan. Why do you ask? That's the main problem for me as the Scotissh plice won't accept a statement by email. Annoying as I have already made a full statement to Action Fraud, which now appears ot be only a statistics gatherer, and says they may take up to 30 days to respond! I also notified FBI but no response.Remeber the payment was to a US bank, Wells Fargo, and the fraudsters are American, do you know anything about who's juridiction this is? My main concern is now going to be how the UK police have handled this, as the fraudsters have probably already deleted their email addresses. These guys were real professionals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could return back to the UK any day if required, as I have no job at the moment, but am loathe to loose further money due to this case. It would cost about 1500 pounds for a 1 day visit
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Indeed. I know why because they have to follow the Police and Criminal Evidence Act. They need a signed statement in the appropriate format etc

Generally anything cross jurisdiction needs to have a complaint made locally first.

So ideally you would complain to the Police in Azerbaijan. Then they would transfer it to the Police in Scotland.

Its unlikely the FBI would get involved as you (I assume) are not a US citizen and indeed they are asked by local law enforcement to investigate.

So that is how usually it would work, you would complain locally then it would get transferred out the jurisdiction.

I understand it would cost £1500 because of air fares etc.

But you need to complain locally and then ask it to be transferred to Scotland.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it's probably too late to chase the criminals because of procedures (I know about procedures slowing me down in my oil industry business too). This is not only a loss to me, but an advantage to the criminals. I was following UK police website advice. I registered with ActionFraud (since been told it is not applicable in Scotland). It is not possible to phone or get urgent email responses from ActionFraud.
FYI, Azerbaijan, although friends with UK due to BP being the principle foreign oil company here, is still a 3rd world country, and the chances of them even being interested in forwarding my statement to the Scottish police, let alone writing it, is almost zero.
Can you therefore confirm that I may as well, as far as my financial interests are concerned, forget about this case, and put it down to excitement overcoming my common sense when I paid that money to help get the potential job?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes in reality the money has gone. This is known as advance fee fraud. Its quite common if you Google search it.

But in reality you are unlikely to get it back as the account has been emptied.

But people have lost tens of thousands of pounds, so whilst $2910 is a lot, you could have lost far more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll put it down to experience.
However as far as catching criminals is concerned, couldn't the police have acted quicker? Action Fraud appears to be purely for registration for statistical reasons. They stated that the case MAY be forwarded to a police authority. Even now the fraudsters email addresses are still live. why are they not doing anything?
Is it worth me complaining in order to point out the inadequacy of the system? Not for my gain, but to improve the system?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Well the Police are Action Fraud are slow. The wheels grinds very slowly indeed, this is what the fraudsters exploit.

You can complain, but in reality it will not change anything.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Makes me feel glad to be in this country where there are no procedures as such, criminals get caught quickly even if mistakenly. Anyway they can pay to get out of trouble, as some of my colleagues have done in the 9 years I have been here.
Have a nice day
Geoff Taylor
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry its not better news Geoff - many people have been scammed.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck.