75100385

2 weeks ago my father was seriously burned after the engine

Customer Question

Hi there,
2 weeks ago my father was seriously burned after the engine caught fire on his boat. He re-fuelled the boat through the external filler cap but on inspection of the engine bay after the fire, it was found that there was nothing attached to the back of the fuel filler (i.e. no pipework going to the engine) so the fuel went straight into the engine compartment. When running the engine it sucked in fuel-rich air (from the fuel vapours in the engine compartment) into the air filter and carburettor and 'flared up' causing serious burns to my Dad. He's still in hospital and has had to have several skin grafts. He bought the boat approximately 6 weeks ago via brokerage through a UK marina. The boat was obviously in a dangerous condition when it was sold but would it have been my Dad's responsibility to check that the boat was in satisfactory condition before he went ahead with the purchase? Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

When was it purchased please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm not sure but not very long ago, maybe 6 weeks?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

OK - was it new or used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was used. Cheers
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I assume he had the opportunity to examine the boat before purchase?
In any event under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods must be fit for purpose, as described and of suitable quality.

If not then he can sue for loss and damage. But you would also expect a consumer to inspect goods before they purchase them to satisfy themselves as to the condition.

But if it was dangerous then yes the owner would be on the seller under the above Act.