29905560

I went into my local Boots the store today and requested the

I went into my local Boots the store today and requested the Boots morning after contraception. The pharmacist asked me to to go into a small room with me. Before she found out how many days the incident was or even anything she said she has one for me named Ella One. Should the pharmacist firstly ask when the incident happened? I said I didn't want this as had completed my research and this shows a stronger more harsher dose which was not relevant for me. Ella one is also for incidents up to 5 days later. Again not relevant for me.
I asked the pharmacist with yourself the manager in the room the reasons and she said she just couldn't give the Boots one and that each pharmacist has different levels?
Therfore I was point blank refused the boots morning after contraception but offered Ella one a stronger and more expensive version not relevant or suitable for me. She then called manager in. He also inappropriately asked me when the incident was.
.I was refused the Boots version which was evident they had many in stock but offered Ella One. She also stated she was at the end of her shift and had to go soon?
. Why I was told by Benedict to go across the road to Tesco to purchase this or come back in half an hour when the next pharmacist would be arriving.
. My inconvenience and non clarification of why this could not be sold by pharmacist
I was told she can't sell the Boots one only Ella One. This was not only embarrassing but a really poor customer service. It has been passed to the area manager. What are my rights here, whilst I wait for a response? Is this ethical how i was treated
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have copied and pasted the email I sent to Management just to explain what happened in full

Hi there. Apologies for the delay. Can you tell me whether the pharmacist's refusal to provide the one you requested caused you a delay in obtaining the correct pill?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi BenThe Store Manager told me to come back in 30 minutes when another pharmacist could assist. The first pharmacist couldn't offer me the boots brand for some reason, although could only offer me an alternative and more pricier and a harsher does for incidents up to 5 days later. Not relevant to me. I went back in the requested time and had to see another pharmacist who could assist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you there?

Hi there and apologies for the slight delay. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HiWill I get a response today? Just want to manage expectations.Thanks

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst I fully empathise with your situation, what happened here is really a moral argument rather than a legal one. Yes, they could have treated you better in some respects but that does not make their actions illegal. Also there is no legal obligation on them to sell you their own version of the pill, or any medication at all. They are still a store, a business, so they can choose who they sell to and what they sell to their customers. There is no ‘right’ to be given what you wanted or what you required. They do reserve the legal right to choose what to sell you or whether to sell anything to you at all. Yes it is probably unethical and yes it should be handled better, but it does not make it illegal. So whilst you have every right to complain about the poor customer service and what happened, if the complaint is rejected you will not be able to take it any further, such as seeking some legal recourse over this. So bear that in mind when you decide on your potential next steps.

At the same time the pharmacist would have been expected to follow the Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s Code of Ethics. This is however a regulatory issue, rather than a legal one. If you wish to complain about the individual you can contact the General Pharmaceutical Council.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi BenThanks for looking into this.
My concerns are that the pharmacist never asked me age or when the event happened. I believe part of that can be illegal as in theory I could have been under 16 years old.
My other concern is the pharmacist was willing to give me a pill that was not relevant, a stronger more harsher pill and for events that happened up to 5 days after again this was not needed.
Am i still in my rights to insist the reason why should could not give me the boots brand?
A totally poor and unacceptable service and in my eyes at the very least they should give a good will gesture for the stress and inconvenience and embarrassment caused.Regards

the issues with the age are really a fitness to practice matter and will be what the regulatory body would be looking at if you were to complain about them. It is not an illegal matter in terms of criminal law though. As you have not suffered losses or a personal injury you cannot really do anything legally yourself apart from complain to the store which could deal with this as they see fit and could offer compensation of they want to to keep a customer happy. As mentioned you can also make the formal complaint to the regulatory body. Hope this clarifies?

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'