Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I have been issued with a notice of intended prosecution by

Customer Question

I have been issued with a notice of intended prosecution by the Metropolitan Police, for a road offence which I have committed, I was caught doing 38mph on a 30mph road.
The issue I have accepting this notice is that this road did not have the adequate speed limit sign and that I have been driving up and down this road for over 10 years and I found out that the speed limit was reduced to 30mph from 40mph which I initially thought.
I have been driver for 20 years now with a absolute clean unblemished record.
I have not been offered any road awareness course or anything like that so it looks like I will be getting points on my license.
I do not completely understand the notice as it says I have 28 days to fill it out and send it back to them. What happens then?
I need advice on how to avoid it and if there is any appeals procedures etc.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

What led you to believe it was a 40 mph speed limit?

What type of road is it, how wide, where is it etc?

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Road Name: A406 Gunnersbury Avenue (North Circular Road)
Direction of Camera: Northboundhttp://www.speedcamerasuk.com/database/GL/gl145.htmThat link shows someone in a similar situation to me,

The default situation is that as a suburban road it is a 30 mph limit unless indicated otherwise.

Why do you believe it is 40 mph?

I will check the film , not having too much luck so far

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand it is now 30mph, but that was only enforced recently.If I accept the notice and sign it, will I be given points?. I have been told there is some kind of road awareness course etc.What options do I have at this stage?

You will get some points 3-5 and a fine.

A road awareness course is unlikely on a minor speeding charge.

30 mph is the default speed for suburban roads so it is 30 mph unless it says otherwise. If you plead not guilty and are then found guilty you will get more points and a higher fine so I would plead guilty.

Best regards

Michael