F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am not a business but a private individual who has a UK

I am not a business but a private individual who has a UK Patent on a useful household device which is at prototype stage. The devices do exist worldwide in various designs (my Patent is for the functionality so the design doesn't matter). I would like to purchase existing products from the USA at a reduced price so that I can sell them for a small profit - through maybe e-Bay and boot sales. Will I be breaking any Laws? or what do I need to do, if anything please. (I know I'd need to keep a record of purchase and sales and pay tax after a certain amount). Many thanks, Vanessa
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You would obviously have to pay any import duty.

Presumably, you would also be buying genuine branded products.

Is there any particular problem you are thinking about?

On the face of it, it seems that you are just importing product and selling them at a profit so I’m not certain what the relevancy is of your own patent.