75100385

Hope you can help. My mother recently passed away. She was

Hi ,
Hope you can help.
My mother recently passed away. She was paying monthly for a care company for care services at her own home. They are now presenting me with an invoice for money she apparently owes to them (less than £1000).
I have no funds or means to pay this on her behalf. She did receive attendance allowance from the council to help with these costs, which she no longer gets. I was not a joint account holder with my mother from which payments were paid.
The company has not yet threatened me with any action, but they are pressing me for a settlement of her account.
The key question is this: As my mothers son, am I liable in anyway to pay for her debts and any of her invoices such as this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have they asked for payment from you personally at all please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ash,I'm happy to wait for an e-mail response - I would be grateful for that. Many thanks for responding. My mobile is***********They have not asked me directly for the money, just that the account has not been settled. But implicit in this I feel is an expectation that I as her sole surviving son am liable to pay?Kind Regards
Raj
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

No, you are not liable.

There was no contract between you and them, so you are not liable in any way.

If there are any assets of the estate then the estate may need to pay the bill.

But if not, you are not personally liable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's very good to know thanks.She was in debt as a 72 year old woman, the only thing that's left is her house, for which I am in the process of getting probate. I'm also receiving a rental income from the property.Does this mean that they can claim anything from her house or any income I receive from it, as I presume I am in charge of her estate?Many thanks again Ash
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

They can claim these costs from her estate yes.

If the amount is not paid from the estate then you could be liable as the person in charge.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ash,That's brilliant. I see it does clarify things. I think I will put it to them that I'm not liable to pay as the contract was with my mother and not with me. I will then wait for their response in the first instance, depending on this, and how they seek to pursue the issue, I'll possibly seek an agreement on how the money could be repaid as I am effectively in charge of her estate.Many thanks for your time on this Ash.
You've been really helpful.Best wishes
Raj
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Raj and good luck.