12826847

My Brother has recently had a previous caution for

Hi, My Brother has recently had a previous caution for possession of cocaine brought up in the local paper. He is a store manager, the offence happened 5 years ago and was being reviewed by local councillors in giving him a licence to sell alcohol. The paper stated his name, the previous offence and the store where he works. Were they legally obliged to do this? I see no public gain in the paper reporting this and could cost him his job at the store. Any advice would be appreciated thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They are free to print anything that is true.

There is no public gain in the majority of reporting. They are not interested in responsible reporting. They are just interested in selling papers.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The days when journalists were honourable and focused upon telling the truth and exposing wrongdoing have long gone if they ever existed.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They only agreed to a limited number of reforms in the Levenson enquiry because if they didn't they would have been restricted by law.

There is no reason they cannot do this though I'm afraid.

Can I clarify anything for you? I'm just travelling but I will be online at about 2pm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought as much, was hoping they had possibly overstepped reporting of this incident as it was not after a new conviction. Seems vicious reporting as there was no public benefit to knowing of this misdemeanour but as you say they can report whatever they want. Thanks for the reply
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I completely agree you.

Sorry for the bad news.