How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9183
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

How difficult if at all possible to remove a right of access

Customer Question

How difficult if at all possible to remove a right of access across a driveway
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

If this is a documented right-of-way in the deeds, either created by deed or acquired through prescription/longer use, then it is virtually impossible to get it removed unless the dominant and the servient land both come into common ownership or both owners agree to extinguish the right.

The right does not cease to exist through lack of use regardless of the period of time and it does not cease to exist and cannot be removed because it is no longer required for example if there is an alternative.

Anyone exercising the right must not cause nuisance or obstruction and both of those would be actionable separately but not to the extent of removing the right.

The question is very common.

I do not know whether it’s the answer you wanted or not.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply to my question regarding right of access, u fortunately the access is in the deeds to this property!You have clarified what is entailed and that he should be contributing to the repairs. He has on previous occasions damaged the gate into the field that belongs to this property but has never replied or contributed to any repairs as he does not feel it nescesssar, and just takes it of the hinges and throughout it on the floor out is his way. Would we be in our right to fix the gate so that it could. It be removed or broken?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

If it’s your field, you can remove the gate and do what you like with it.

If you want to fix it in place so that it will not come off the hinges and he cannot remove it, you are also entitled to do that. You would not be entitled to lock it because that would obstruct his right-of-way.

If he has damaged it, you can ask him for the money to repair and if he will not pay up, you can take him to the Small Claims Court.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is not my field but my gate into the field
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

If its yours you can make it unremoveable

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions