75100385

Issue with student loans company. I wanted to pay off my

Customer Question

Issue with student loans company.
I wanted to pay off my student loan so I contacted the SLC but when I phoned was told that deductions from my wages for year 14 - 15 was missing and I would need to contact the tax office.
I re-phoned the SLC after speaking with the tax office and told the person on the phone that the tax office quoted £2745 paid for that year from which I was told once they received either a copy of my P60 or proof for that year then my final payment would be £6293.79 (quoted Adam ******* 27th July)
The tax office sent me a letter showing the amount so I contacted the SLC again asking if this would do as proof as I couldn't find my P60, they said yes so I sent off the letter.
I phoned again a couple of days later and asked to reconfirm the quote and was quoted £9096.27 from which £2745 (Affi Amed 4th Aug) would be deducted once the tax office letter was received which at that point it hadn't been according to whom I had been speaking and told phone again in a couple of days time.
I phoned again on Sat 6th Aug and spoke with a woman called Zanub, explained I wanted to pay my loan off and and asked if they had received the letter, she said yes they had received the letter on the 4th which was when I had phoned previously and said it takes upto two weeks for the letter to be entered into the system so I said can I not just pay this off and she said but you will be over paying and I said well i know i owe around £6300 and she said, no you don't understand this is to be deducted from that amount from which I said i'm sure your wrong but she was adamant so as I work away 3 weeks at a time would it be sorted when i return and she said yes so i ended the conversation.
I returned from work last night and received a letter from the SLC stating I owe £8891.66 so I phoned today and spoke to a person called Ron Li asked him about my payment and he said I owed £6147 and would need my deduction amount from my wage slip for July and Aug to give me an exact amount. I then mentioned the letter the different quotes and asked what was going on, he said let me put you on hold and i will get a colleague to look at your account, he returned and said he would phone my mobile number hopefully today, I said you better as I was going to speak with a solicitor. he phoned my mobile but then said I owed £8892.47 as someone had entered the £2745 for year 2014 -15 twice from which I said hold on I'm being quoted all different amounts how can his be right yet his colleague's aren't, he retorted his was right, I said do you realise I have been to the bank to borrow the money to pay off my first quote, he replied well you could pay that amount and just let the rest come out of your wages,he then said that there was nothing else he could do for me, I said I would contact a solicitor and could I have the SLC legal team number as they may require it from which he said I have done all i can for you goodbye and ended the call.
Legally where do I stand as this is thousands difference.
Sorry for the long windedness.
Kind Regards,
Wayne ***********
P.S. they state when you call up that calls may be recorded.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello Wayne my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you written to them at all at this stage please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No have not wrote to them, only spoke on the telephone.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

You should write (not email) and make a formal complaint.

This will then be investigated and you will have it in black and white what is owing.

You can set out all the different figures you have been given and they will see why this is.

If you are still not happy it can go to an Independent Assessor.

For more information please see:

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/RPIPG001/RPIPS001/RPIPS006/SLC_COMPLAINTS_LEAFLET_MARCH16_EN.PDF

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Legally being quoted different amounts where do i stand as they could come back with another figure? they say when you ask for a quote that it stands for 14 days yet interest is added daily.
How would i have stood if I had paid that initial amount quoted could they have then came back and said I owed more?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this really a solicitor's case? or just a dispute? and what type of solicitors deal with this type of case if indeed it is one.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

It is a dispute which is why you need to raise it at this stage.

It would be a civil litigation Solicitor. But if they had requested a sum in settlement, then you paid that sum - then and only them they might not be able to come after you for more, depending what was in the contract.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I requested the sum but as I explained it changes every time.
Is there a legal time limit for them to reply?
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Sadly not, although they should try within 21 days.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you Ash.I will write a letter of complaint ASAP
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

I hope you resolve this. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No problem Ash, quick efficient answer, 5 stars in my book.
Have a nice day.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** could click the rating to close off, thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ash, I have one more question regarding my question. I have been sent a second letter basically a copy of a letter dated 16th Aug, this one dated 18th Aug the latter looks photocopied off the first with the date changed, both letters state the same amount owed and the name whom they are from are the same yet the hand written signature is completely different. Law wise can someone sign another person's signature?
I have followed your advice and placed an initial complaint.
Won't trouble you anymore with regards ***** ***** issue.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

No, someone else can't sign.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that does clarify, I have informed them about this in my complaint and said they can have copies of these two letters as to allow an investigation into this as well.
As I said before you have been great thank you once again.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I already rated you 5 stars the other day :)
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

You did, thanks