I have ordered Roman blinds from and interior company made

Customer Question

I have ordered Roman blinds from and interior company made to order for our bedroom. They are just fine no problem a deposit paid and full amount paid on fitting. On the basis of being happy with these I order £3000 worth of blinds for our lounge again made to measure, fabric chose and ask for them to be lined and interlined . They are now ready and yesterday they came to fit them. I have paid a 30% deposit but not paid the full amount as yet. The fitter came to fit them (who happens to be the owner) and I then saw when he had fitted one that the lining fabric is a yellow/nicotine colour, not the colour as of the previous blinds made for the bedroom. I told him that I didn't like it and asked why didn't they use the same colour as the bedroom as it looks all wrong from the outside when drawn to have different colours showing. His response was we always use this lining but I said no upstairs is much lighter and that's how I expected these to be. He said you have blackout lining upstairs . I said I know that but I'm not talking about the type of lining I meaning the consistency of the colour. Blackout lining comes in various shades. I really don't like the lounge blinds it doesn't go with the house style at all they look antiquey our house is very contemporary. They never gave me an option of lining fabric colours I presumed that they would keep to the same. How can I argue this. Can you please advise me
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

So to confirm, you requested the exact same blinds to be ordered? Also, were you offered / provided with a sample for the the second order?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I was given a written quote for the blinds I chose the bedroom fabric told them which face fabric I want and I wanted them to be black out. Lining wasn't mention for a colour in fact I dint even think about it to be honest but as it turned out they were the colour I would have chosen. Then on ordering the lounge blinds again choosing the face fabric and asking for them to be lined I just assumed that they would be the same. The quote doesn't state a colour on either quotes. It just say the make and name of the face fabric to supply and then to supply lining to the Roman blind with a price
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No samples given I chose the face fabric from their books
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you tell me am I paying a one off £42 for your advice

Hi there. Yes it is a one off fee that you would pay. Thank you for your response too. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.

It would be incorrect to assume that they would have used the same colour as the previous blinds – just because you had blinds ordered from them before, there would have been no obligation on them to use the same lining so this would have just been an assumption on your part, not a legal obligation on theirs. Similarly, they would have not had to offer you a choice of linings to ensure that you are informed about the options or to ensure they match the previous blinds you had from them. These are two completely separate orders and they do not have to be connected in anyway in terms of looking the same and they would not have been expected to do anything about it.

As far as the law stands, when a consumer makes a purchase from a business seller, they will have certain 'statutory' rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The law states that the goods must be:

· of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when you receive them;

· as described – they must match any description given to you at the time of purchase; and

· fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for,

If they do not match the above requirements, you will have certain legal remedies against the seller.

I am not sure however you can argue any of the above because the issue is that they do not match a previous purchase you had made, but that does not mean they are not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality.

Really this should have been something which was specifically raised at the time of order by you, rather than an assumption that it would be the same as the last time you ordered from them. There is of course nothing stopping you from pushing them further and even making a claim to try and force them to resolve this but legally that may be difficult to do.

In terms of the payment for this service please check My Account section to see if you are on a subscription or not – you can change your plan details there. If not just contact customer services on *****@******.*** to query any account issues.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you can take to proceed with this matter further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ben. Thank you for your advice. I guess that this be a lesson learnt, hopefully for them too. An expensive error on my part but I know I won't let this happen again.

You are welcome. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.