75100385

I hope you will be able to assist with my query. My equifax

Hello! I hope you will be able to assist with my query.
My equifax credit report has been changed to show that I have a debt with Thames Water at a previous address that I left 12mths ago. I never owned the property, neither was I the tenant of the property. I lived there with a friend, whose partner owned the property (although he never lived there). He sold the property last August and I relocated to a new address. My relationship with my friend has since broken down and I no longer no her whereabouts.
I contacted Thames Water and informed them of the above, but they say that as I lived there and I do not know where my friend is living I am liable for the debt.
The debt outstanding (on equifax) is £74. Am I liable?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I assume you have evidence to show you have only ever lived at your current address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not denying living at the address where the debt has been raised. I was never the legal tenant. My friend's partner owned the property. As I was not the legal tenant; am I liable for this bill from Thames Water?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You never signed up with Thames at all, that was your friend?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Ash.
That is correct; I never signed up with Thames Water. I paid my friend monthly rent of £500 which included bills. I don't know if she signed up to Thames Water.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok then you are not and can not be liable.

You should make a complaint to the Consumer Council for water. They can investigate your complaint.

They offer a free independent service at

http://www.ccwater.org.uk

This should resolve the problem. You could also apply to court to have the default removed, but a judge may want to see what the outcome of the complaint is first.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will contact the consumer council for water.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will rate your answer. Thank you again. I am hopeful of a positive outcome.