Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I co own house with ex partner I lost my job but still pay

I co own house with ex partner I lost my job but still pay water and tv licence as well as having just paid for carpets n furniture . Can he make me sell home? What rights do I have?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-Who lives in the property?

-Do you have children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?

-Is the home held as a joint tenancy or tenancy in common?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not married and have no children together. We both currently reside in the property as I view this as my home and it is a joint tenancy
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. She cannot force you to sell the property, and if there is no agreement between you and she wishes to sell then she would need to apply to court for an order for sale. In the even that happens and a court grants an order you would both be entitled to equal shares of the proceeds of sale unless there is a formal agreement or evidence that you had agreed or intended for an unequal split of the equity.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.