F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I run an education website where teachers subscribe to have

I run an education website where teachers subscribe to have access to my resources. I want to create a printable grammar board game with the concept of monopoly. It will not use 'opoly' in the name and it will not use any images/references to the original. The only think similar to the original is the concept and baord layout. Is this okay?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

It is not possible to trademark or copyright an idea. If it was, there would not be the proliferation of price comparison websites that exist.

What you have to make sure is that you do not get accused by the owners of monopoly, with passing off.

Passing off is what happens when you try to cash in on the reputation and name awareness of and manufacturer or supplier.

If anyone looked at the board game and thought “this looks like Monopoly but with words” it could be a breach of their intellectual property and hence, you have to make sure that it looks completely different.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

I can still clarify things for you.

Best wishes.

FES.