75100385

The matter concerns access of contractors doing

The matter concerns access of contractors doing refurbishment work to Council accommodation,both internally and externally.
1) Can Council or Contractor demand a key for access, should I not be present?
2) A lot of dust and mess is involved in this operation,I accept this, but do i have a right, with regard to one particular room, to insist on an approach that would virtually eliminate damage to my ,property there in. I have boxed up and removed what I can and have covered other items, but emptying the room altogether is not an option.
3) What are my Rights as to excluding access.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please let me know what type of tenancy you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am a Council Tenant with Swansea City Council and have been for some years. I live in a High Rise block in Sketty , and receive full Housing Benefit
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. You need to check your tenancy agreement

1) The Council can gain access and you do not have to be present. Imagine if you were working all day it would be impossible to continue working whilst this refurbishment was going on.

2) Yes you can insist on this and indeed they have to clean up. If things are damaged they have to repair/replace them

3) You cant - generally it will be in your tenancy agreement that you must allow the Landlord to carry out this work. If you do not then you could be in breach of your tenancy agreement.

If this happens technically they can serve notice to quit and seek possession of your property.

Check the tenancy agreement, see if it says you can exclude them - I doubt it, but check.