Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters

I divorced my husband in july this year, for unreasonable

Customer Question

i divorced my husband in july this year , for unreasonable behaviour , he gave me half the said value of the house , i have taken nothing but personal items from the house , we both have pensions of which im told also go half and half , plus the contents , is this correct
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-Are you in England or Wales?
-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What is the value of the property, and what is the outstanding mortgage?
-Who is now living in the property?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
were both in england , 60 and 55, 34 years , no dhildren to be included ,there is no outstanding morgage , the value was 160 .000 , he is , it was both , i have just sighned over to him ,i have a pension of around £50,000 and his around 120,000 , incomes are £12,000 and around £30,000 for him
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Given your very long marriage you would be entitled to seek financial relief in relation to the pension and potentially spousal maintenance if you are unable to meet your reasonable needs - however, this will depend on whether you have remarried and whether there was a court approved financial settlement - if either of these have happened you would not be entitled to seek financial relief anymore. If there was no financial order and you have not remarried I would suggest you attempt a further negotiation due to your entitlement to seek this relief. This can be attempted through mediation - you can find independent mediators here: If a settlement is agreed this can be submitted to court under a consent order (together with a D81 form outlining your respective financial positions).

If mediation does not progress you should then proceed with an application to court under Form A for financial relief once the divorce petition has been issued.

You will both need to provide each other with full and frank financial and income disclosure, as well as disclosure of your reasonable needs. The Court's starting point is a 50-50 split of all matrimonial assets and ensuring that both your needs are met in relation to both assets and income. For your information the criteria considered by the court in these matters is:

1. The income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future, including in the case of earning capacity any increase in that capacity which it would in the opinion of the court be reasonable to expect a party to the marriage to take steps to acquire;
2. The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
3. The standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage;
4. The age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;
5. Any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage;
6. The contributions which each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;
7. The conduct of each of the parties, if that conduct is such that it would in the opinion of the court be inequitable to disregard it;
8. In the case of proceedings for divorce or nullity of marriage, the value to each of the parties to the marriage of any benefit which, by reason of the dissolution or annulment of the marriage, that party will lose the chance of acquiring.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.