F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

How do I go about getting copies of my house deeds as they

How do I go about getting copies of my house deeds as they have been lost
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Is the property registered at the land registry?

Is there a mortgage?

Who has lost the deeds?

You can explain your situation and a little more detail itwould be helpful. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if the property is registered at the land registry as this was my parents house and it was left to my sister and brother and also myself .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property was left to us on their deaths through their wills, my brother and myself live in the property on the agreement of my sister. the deeds were unfortunately lost by myself
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You can get the deeds to the house by following this link, if the property is registered a land registry.

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

if the property just doesn’t have a house number and a street, you may be better using the detailed enquiry which is the link just below the search button.

If the property is not registered land registry, you are going to need to get a solicitor to do a first registration for you with lost deeds. It’s a straightforward process but there are certain requirements which make it probably beyond the scope of a person doing it themselves.

There is a process for getting the property registered at the land registry even if the deeds have been lost. This is not the first time this has happened.

You don’t have it already, you are going to need grant of probate to be able to deal with any of this.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

I can still clarify things for you.

Best wishes.

FES.