Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Approx four years ago, my husband and I built a house. As

Customer Question

Approx four years ago, my husband and I built a house. As part of that process we hired scaffolding from a company. At the time we received invoices and paid accordingly. A few weeks ago the scaffolding company notified us they had been inspected by HMRC and as a result had found he had not charged VAT correctly on some of our invoices. Therefore, they sent us a new invoice for approx £188.00 as per correct VAT. I know the invoice is minimal but its the principal. I am not arguing the amount is incorrect, but after all this time is he right to ask us to cover his mistake?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If they sent the invoice and it made no mention of VAT you are entitled to assume VAT is included, therefore they cannot subesequently recover this money from you. It is there responsibility to pay the VAT to HMRC. The only way you would be liable is if they expressly told you VAT was excluded and they would be sending you a separate VAT invoice (which would be an unusual provision in terms and conditions). Kind regards AJ