29905560

If a major shareholder sells a company, does TUPE stand for

If a major shareholder sells a company, does TUPE stand for the remaining Directors and Shareholders ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Are these people also employees of the company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes Ben they are

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Is the sale one of the shares of the company? I presume the shareholder sells their shares to the new owners?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Shareholder is selling his 70% of shares and the remaining Shareholders hold 30% each and will retain their Jobs and positions and Shareholding.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. There is usually no TUPE transfer on the sale of a company through its shares because technically there is no change of employer, just a change of ownership. However, it is not always as simple as that and there have been examples when share sales have amounted to a UPE transfer. Each case is decided on its own facts though so for an example of when that happened, together with the factors that made it into a TUPE transaction, see here:

http://www.shepwedd.co.uk/knowledge/when-can-share-sale-lead-tupe-transfer-0

So generally no, there is no TUPE transfer when it is just the shares that are sold, but in limited circumstances there could be a valid transfer, although only a court can decide if that is the case.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you