Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a Belgian and have been living in the UK since 2002. I

Hello. I am a Belgian and have been living in the UK since 2002. I have been in full time employment since then and self employed for the last 10 years. I own a property and a business. I am also a civil partner of a Brit since 10 years. I would like to apply for British citizenship. I was filling out the forms and it occurred to me that I may need a Permanent Resident Card. Is that still necessary in my case? I have already passed the Life in the Uk test and passed the knowledge of English test plus also got academic degrees obtained in the UK.
appreciate your help. kind regards.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Yes I am ok to wait a little bit longer. thank you.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. I regret to say that you need to hold a Permanent Residence card for a period of one year before you can apply for UK citizenship. This is because you need to be able to show you were living "visa free" in the Uk for at least one year before the application for Uk citizenship is made. Unless you have a Permanent Residence card, there is no other way of showing this to be the case. So, unfortunately, you will need to apply for your Permanent Residence card today and apply for UK citizenship in a year's time.

2. I appreciate you have been living in the Uk since 2002. However, you still need the Permanent Residence card to show you were visa free for one year.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience