How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Harris Your Own Question

Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2659
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a property which I rented out to a couple recommended

Customer Question

I have a property which I rented out to a couple recommended by my brother in law 20 years ago. This couple have lived at the property for the full length of this period without a tenancy agreement. Stupid I know! I have asked them to quit the property 10 years ago but they refused to move. I have spent a considerable amount tying to get them out. I am now unemployed from SSI, I have had a hip operation, awaiting back op and would love to have my property back due to declining health instead of living in rented property myself. I have tried recently to ask them again to quit the property but they do not respond. I went to the property but there was no answer and they have changed the lock. They pay the rent every month. Financially I cannot afford to upkeep property I have not control over, it all feels so mentally draining. Is there any recent update in property law which may help my situation.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Have you pursued court proceedings for possession in the past?

Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for delay. No have not gone to court proceedings.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Despite them not having a written tenancy agreement, they will still be considered tenants as they are enjoying use of the property and paying you rent. You will need to give them formal notice, which should be a Section 21 notice giving them at least two months notice, and follow the required content to ensure it is correct. Please see more information here:

If they do not leave by the end of the notice period you will need to pursue a court application for possession, and if there are no rent arrears being sought you can do this under the accelerated route which can be commenced here:

If they do not leave after a possession order has been granted you can then apply to court for a notice of eviction which gives them the last date and time that they must leave, otherwise a bailiff will enter and repossess the property.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice