75100385

I have been using land for the past 7 years with the

Customer Question

I have been using land for the past 7 years with the agreement of the owner to graze my three ponies.. I pay no rent, but maintain the fields, have installed fencing and a field shelter. I have now found out via a third party that the owner intends to sell the fields in a months time, can he do this when I have animals grazing on the land? Also do I have any claims as a sitting tenant or can I register an interest in the fields as a user of them? Help please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Why dont you have anything in writing please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have submitted a written question.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I meant do you have anything in writing with the owner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it was verbal agreement
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

It's bad news then I am afraid. You have what is called a tenancy at will. This means it can be ended at any time with notice.

Sadly you do not have a claim as a tenant or interest in the land. If the owner gives you notice and you do not leave they can seek a court order.

Without any form of tenancy agreement or lease I am sorry to report that you have no right to remain.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much notice do they need to give me and what about the investment I have made in fencing and stabling? Can I claim this back ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sadly unless anything was agreed you are not entitled to the cost of those improvements, you have a tenancy at will.

They would need to give you at least one months notice, but probably three months.

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Does it make any difference if I had been using the fields to run a business? I farmed alpacas for three years on the fields.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sadly not. I am sorry

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the notice have to be written it vet all and as I am the person using the fields does he have to tell me of for example if he told my daughter and she then told me , would this qualify as notice
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes it needs to be written. Verbal is not sufficient.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that does, so what happens if I do not receive written notice of his intention to sell the fields. what course of action can I follow ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You stay until you get written notice, even if it is sold

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so if the fields are sold, and I have not received written notice of at least 1 month I can legally stay on the fields. What about the new owner, can they evict me ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they can give you written notice.

Then you have to leave.

Does that clarify?