29905560

Do breaks at work have to be taken after a certain amount of

Hi - do breaks at work have to be taken after a certain amount of time - (ie number of hours) or can a lunch break be taken at the end of the day to effectively leave early everyday. The role is a call centre role on the phone/ in front of PC's
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Is this the worker's statutory 20 minute break that they get by law for every 6 hours of work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's is really my question. What is the stat requirement. The shift is 9am til 3.30 pm so can I work right through and leave at 3 pm every day
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Legally a worker is entitled to a 20 minute break for every 6 hours of work. So if you work 9-3.30 then you would be entitled to have at least a 20 minute break that day. The employer can offer a longer break as long as they give you this 20 minute entitlement. However, you cannot be forced to take your break at the beginning or end of the day – it has to be somewhere in the middle. Of course, it is possible for both you and the employer to agree between you that the break is taken at the end of the day but there is no legal right to do this and it can only happen if you had agreed it with the employer and you are both happy to do this.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.