F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

In February my son got a speeding ticket from the police, he

In February my son got a speeding ticket from the police, he filled out the paperwork and sent it back and he heard no more until last week when he received a Single Justice Procedure Notice dated 11/08/2016 with 21days to plead guilty or not guilty , is there anything we can do about this as we wanted him to do a driver awareness course as his job is at risk if he gets penalty points on his licence not to mention the increase in his personal car insurance as a 20 year old you can understand what that would mean .
Regards *****
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

Here are the government notes on that notice.

You are to have a read of it and then come back to me with any queries, I would be happy to answer for you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/322167/fact-sheet-regulatory-cases-single-justice-procedure.pdf

how long has he been driving for?

What was the offence?

Does he have any other points?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My son passed his test on 22/08/2013 he has not had any other driving convictions, the charges are , fail to give information relating to the identification of the driver/rider of a vehicle when required and Exceed 30mph speed limit in contravention of a local traffic order -manned equipment (he was driving at 38mph)

A Driver’s Awareness Course is unlikely to be an option. Because this is failure to identify the driver of a vehicle which is alleged to be speeding, rather than speeding itself, then Drivers Awareness course is unlikely to be an option because it was a breach of a statutory duty to identify the driver which was the problem, rather than the fact that he was speeding.

If he gets convicted, it carries 6 points and a fine of up to £1000. The penalty for failing to identify is actually worse than that the speeding which would have been three points and a fixed penalty of £100 and the possibility of a Driver’s Awareness Course.

I’m sorry that I cannot give you a more favourable answer.

Pleading exceptional hardship will not work to avoid the points.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

I can still clarify things for you.

Best wishes.

FES.