F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

As a tenant finding a property to rent in London. The

As a tenant finding a property to rent in London.
The letting agent is NRL registered and the Landlord is non UK and lives abroad and has approved NRL addressed to the agent only.
Should I pay the rent to the agent or is it ok to pay direct to the overseas landlord without being at risk of non-resident landlord tax responsibilities?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

The tax responsibility is that of the landlord and not yours. What you don’t want to be accused of however is being complicit in transferring money out of the UK against any kind of regulation or being accused of money laundering.

Hence, I would pay the rent to the agent and let the agent do what ever transfers the agent feels fit.

There is another issue with transferring money outside the UK and that is that there is no paper trail for you if the landlord says that you haven’t paid the rent.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

I can still clarify things for you.

Best wishes.

FES.